When Disaster Strikes – Water Damage on Your Hardwood Floor
Hardwood floors are beautiful, durable, and you have the option of refinishing them if they need to be updated – but what happens when disaster strikes? Weather in SW Missouri can be unpredictable, and water is the worst enemy of hardwood floors.
The thing with hardwood floors is it absorbs water. Whether it is a small spill or a flood catastrophe, there are a few things you can do to protect your hardwood floors…the biggest being to dry your hardwood floor and subfloor as quickly as possible!
Things You Can Do To Protect Your Hardwood Floors From Water Damage
- Soak up any excess water standing on your hardwood floors. If it is a small spill, usually a cloth will do. However, if it is a big spill or flood, you may want to consider using a water vacuum or hiring restoration specialists who can remove the excess water and speed up the drying process so your wood floors don’t buckle.
- Ensure ALL the moisture has been removed from your hardwood floors. The longer your hardwood floors are exposed to water, the more likely your floors will get mold. Mold doesn’t only damage your hardwood floors, but it can seriously affect the air quality of your home. Be sure to get all the water out of your beautiful hardwoods as soon as possible!
- Do NOT try refinishing your floor until there is no moisture. The reason being is many homeowners may think their hardwood floors are dry without knowing for sure, and when they go to refinish the floors it makes the situation worse! It can take several weeks or months to get your hardwood floors to dry (which is why it is important to hire a professional restoration company in SW Missouri).
- Always check your subfloor for water damage – it isn’t good enough to only check your hardwood floors and then try to refinish them! If you ARE going to refinish your hardwood floors after water damage has occurred, you will want to make sure everything has been efficiently dried.
- If your home has a crawlspace, you may want to make sure there is no moisture there. Again, this can affect your floors in a negative way!
Do You Have a Project in SW Missouri? A Little About Direct Install Flooring Company
We at Direct Install LLC are located in SE Springfield, Mo and service areas such as Nixa, Ozark, Rogersville, Republic, Branson, Strafford and Marshfield in the Ozarks. While we specialize in flooring products and flooring installation such as vinyl, tile, engineered hardwood, hardwood flooring, carpet and laminate, we pride ourselves on our service, our floor installers and products. This is why we have an A rating with the BBB.
We strive to provide the best flooring in SW Missouri and beyond. Whether you are looking for quality flooring contractors, installers or construction management, our services include everything from flooring residential construction projects to custom flooring projects and large commercial flooring installation projects in SW Missouri. We are passionate about floors, and our passion shows through our work.
If you are interested in receiving a free flooring quote, give us a call at (417) 576-7052 and a representative will get back with you shortly and schedule a meeting. We look forward to serving you!